Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Perfect Meal


On Saturday at noon hundreds of shoppers came out to the supermarket, many stocking up on chips, dip, and beer in preparation for Superbowl parties the next day. I, too, was preparing for the big day, planning to make homemade pizza and cookies for friends who knew nothing about football. "Is that when everyone fills out those charts?" Becca asked me, "Can I knit during the game?" I pretended to be surprised by their ignorance, and they pretended to listen when I corrected them or taught them about the rules.

In Meijer, carts creaked along the aisles, soulless drones behind them. "Pardon me," I would say, narrowly avoiding cart collision. No response, no head nod, no eye contact. Customers looked through me to scan the products on the wall: Enriched flour, unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, organic flour. What did it even mean? My guide, Gabriella, was sore from ab workouts the night before and had retreated to my car. I tried calling for help but Meijer is a dead zone. Where each product came from, how they were processed, and which one was best for me was a mystery. The carts behind me expected me to move along, and Gabriella was waiting for me outside. Whatever. Grab what's on sale, get the hell out of there.

Back at the car, Gabriella was bawling, her tears purple from the mascara. "I just got off the phone with 911, they're bringing an ambulance. I think my appendix burst." All I could think to say was, I hope you're wearing cute underwear, but I knew better than that, so I rubbed her back and told her it would be okay.
Three hospital visits later, I was watching the first quarter of the game in the waiting room in Bro
nson, discussing penalties and drives with strangers who didn't look through me.

"But Alexis, your perfect meal. The game. Go home," a heavily-drugged Gabriella half-groaned, half-slurred to me.

"Don't be silly, lady, it wouldn't be perfect without you."


With my only notion of "homemade" pizza as Jack's—or Red Baron, if I was lucky—I had asked Gabriella to help me prepare my meal. When Gabriella was well enough to eat again, we started preparing the pizza. My idea of a perfect meal involved as little planning, and as few rules, as possible: no one else in the house was recruited or required to help, and there were no rules about whether only those who helped make it could eat it, because everyone was welcome to a piece. Helpers came and went as they pleased, and though I had only planned on pizza and cookies, Becca and Maddie made sweet potato fries to share (baked, not fried, a good choice on their part), Emily brought her mushrooms to put on half the pizza, and Gabriella shared her Peanut Butter Tracks ice cream. The pizza itself was like a Margarita Pizza, with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil, but with red sauce rather than white because red sauce tastes better.

Surprise mini-courses appeared when someone decided to open a bag of Doritos, extra mushrooms were eaten raw, and leftover mozzarella, tomato, and basil turned into pseudo Caprese salads eaten with fingers off the juicy cutting board. We ate enough raw cookie dough to consider it another course, but don't tell my mother.



By the end of the night, my face hurt from smiling. We had sung what lines of Mary Kate and Ashley's, "Gimme pizza! P-I-Z-Z-A" we knew, and used the "put it on a pizza" joke enough that even Emily and I were sick of it. By the time we put the pizza in the oven to cook, it was past eight, and we were all very hungry. Regardless, we danced and sang and laughed for 25 minutes, at which point we were, "Going to eat that damn pizza whether it was done or not." Everyone said that the pizza was good, but I knew that it was pretty mediocre. The mozzarella hadn't melted completely, the juice from the tomatoes had spilled over the sides, and the toppings fell off the bottom crust after the second bite (Emily pointed out, however, that it provided more opportunities to "put it on a pizza"). Okay, maybe we weren't sick of the joke just yet.

Although there was a table available, we ate on the futon, the back of the couch, and the arm of the chair. No rules, remember? The cookie, too, was shaped and cut like a pizza—a last minute decision—and thrown into a bowl of Peanut Butter Tracks ice cream. The Ghirardelli chocolate chips, the expense of which was justified by their high marks in sustainability, made the cookie. "The final course is cuddling!" I proclaimed. So after half an hour or so of settling our stomachs in a cuddle-puddle, we returned to our real lives, and our homework.


11 comments:

  1. Alexis-
    Your description of Meijer is dead on and made me laugh out loud the entire time. I'm so glad someone took on the task of describing it and it's customers, it needed to be done. Love Jack's pizza! Reminds me of lazy Sunday afternoons at home. The best and the cheapest.

    The way you describe Meijer also shows us who you are as a character, which was really nice. But I expected you to be even more sassy. Not that your level of sass wasn't good, I just would've liked a little bit more.

    I love you tell us about your no-rules policy. Just like your description of Meijer, it shows us a lot about you and your friends. I love that your perfect meal wasn't some over-the-top, stressful event, that you're self-aware enough to know yourself and your friends allowed you to have a great time and eat some great food without all that preparation.

    Suggestion-wise, I would've liked to know why you chose to make the pizza as your perfect meal. Was it to fit the football theme? That's what I assumed, but you never really told us. I also would have liked to have more of a transition between you at the hospital and when Gabriella gets better. I knew it was several days between the two events, but that's because I know you gals, if I didn't I would have been thinking you got home from the hospital and decided to make pizza straight away.

    Also, so glad you linked the Mary Kate and Ashley song. It gave me another chance to shamelessly watch it for the billionth time.
    Thanks for the lovely story, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis this was so good! I smiled while I read the whole thing! You have such a great sense of humor and there is such a feeling of warmth throughout the whole process of making the meal with your friends. Your voice is very strong in this with your little tid bits like when the pizza was like a Margarita pizza, "but with red sauce rather than white because red sauce tastes better" and how you ate all that cookie dough, "but don't tell my mother." Also, a "cuddle puddle"? Hilarious!
    This whole meal just sounded really fun and you transferred that to your writing and made it fun to read too.
    My one suggestion is to change how you ended it. After such a fun night the mention of homework is kind of a buzz kill. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis

    Really enjoyable story. I think you are the first person to describe the other customers in the place they got their food—funny and oh so accurate! I loved your great humor throughout—even when Gabriella finds out she has to go to the hospital. Your piece is also very honest, and you seem very real and genuine when you reveal things you don’t know to readers (i.e. where food in the grocery store comes from or how to make real homemade pizza). We also got a sense of your personality when you made the “no rules” rule and wanted little planning involved in the meal.

    I also wondered why you decided to make pizza in the first place. Was it specifically in honor of the super bowl? If so, maybe make this a little clearer. I like your beginning—but a few more sentences of explanation would make it stronger. You might also think about adding a few more anecdotes and take breaks to develop characters more to break up the chronology or your piece.

    I like the ending a lot—the cuddle puddle juxtaposes with the initial scene in Meijer, which is full of busy customers who refuse to make eye contact. Maybe you could push this contrast even more, and find a few more places in your piece to build up the tension a little more. Great start! What a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, nice. To repeat a comment that has been uttered a million times, your voice really shines in the piece. Your Meijer description was wonderful, I don't know if I've ever spoken a single word to anyone in Meijer. Also the whole "no rules" thing is great.

    In the ending, we get that this meal is a break from the humdrum of everyday college life but we don't really get a sense of that out of the ordinary from the rest of the piece. Not that this meal seems like its totally ordinary, just that maybe there's more room to set it against the usual college meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece is so endearing. The way you describe your experience with your friends makes me want to jump into the pictures and hang out with you guys. You do a beautiful job at this, and it's so genuine, too. I love this idea of sharing with each other, which extends beyond the context of food and into your friendships. And I love the spontaneity of the appetizers, and the meal in general.

    To me, this piece is about a group of friends having fun. But you do throw in a really good description of Meijer, like Hannah says. It's really spot-on. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic draft! Your voice flows throughout the whole piece, and we get such a good sense of who the narrator is right from the start. I really agree with Emily on the point that everything single part of this narrative is so incredibly genuine and honest! Great work. Interactions with all the other people give good characterization, and I loved that there were no preconceptions about the meal -- just really good friends all contributing and having an awesome time.
    I too would have liked to hear more about why you specifically chose pizza. You do a great job of not overstating the "perfect meal" aspect, just bringing it up once or twice, and I thought it was woven very well into the story.
    This is a wonderful draft Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The introduction is very strong, there are elements of humor and your voice really comes through. The narration is uncomplicated and very clear which makes for a nice reading.

    I would say a little more depth to the conclusion would make the piece a lot stronger, I feel the reader misses out on your take of what yo got out of the experience

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soulless drones. Ouch. Attention Meijer shoppers, huh?

    On that note, Alexis, this piece was Full of your fantastic, dry sense of humor. It really propelled your take on the meal and helped characterize not just you, but your friends. (Though that picture of you looking at your watch and Gabriella falling out of the stove does a pretty okay job too...)

    The way that you approach your grocery shopping was really powerful to me? It brought up a lot of interesting things about the different products you can buy at a Meijer. It made me question my own choices and then--quick--you had different priorities. This says a lot about you, because you were so conscious of everything going on around you the whole time, I think, but it also is reminiscent of the way a lot of American shoppers end up picking. Too many choices? We gravitate toward the cheapest, right?

    I love your friends on the page (and also in real life)-- I don't know the "you can put it on a pizza joke," but I also think it's fairly guess-able and gives your friend-group a certain closeness because we're left out. Or something.

    [I like the theme in this piece (and some of the others?) that the food turns out only okay, but our friends are willing to pretend otherwise.]

    I've rambled a little here, but this is really fantastic, Alexis. --I'm excited to talk about it later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your beginning, I don't understand the charts question but maybe I don't know enough about football either. I thought your description of Meijer started a little harsh but it was a good source of humor! Can you expand on Gabriella's character? What knowledge does she have about food and why? I thought the account of the hospital incident was really succinct and flowed well. I think you should develop the no rules idea more what is there reason behind this? Also, how is Ghirardelli sustainable and why does it matter?
    I need to know the I character more! You have an awesome start to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alexis,

    The beginning was so fun. Great start, right from the start! ;)

    We as a whole must be getting better at getting out voice on the page, because again I heard you perfectly in reading this. It was also funny as a whole to see how much some of the stories overlapped!

    Your description of Meijer was very fun, as well as (again) the descriptions of your friends and the superbowl, as well as your friends during the preparation of the meal itself.

    It may have just been me wanting more, but it felt a bit short to me. Where could you add more detail?

    Again, seriously awesome work Alexis!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your voice and tone in this piece was really refreshing, both fun and interesting. You had just enough detail to paint the picture without getting bogged down it to much. That being said, the piece did feel a little short, maybe you could add more about meijers, or a little extra about the cooking process?

    ReplyDelete